Book Review - The Smartest Kids in the World

The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That WayThe Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way by Amanda Ripley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this one. I really liked how she compared other countries and it was quite an insight to see the differences in educational systems around the globe. What I found intriguing was the importance of teacher training in other countries and the lack of technology. While I don't feel we should eliminate all technology; I feel that technology in the school system, especially elementary, is taking away some fundamental lessons and abilities that would be beneficial to our kids. I completely agree that if my child earns a "F", that's where I want them graded. I feel teachers that are afraid to give failing grades for fear of repercussions or because a parent throws a fit are only doing a disservice to the student. With my six kids, I have had both types of teachers, and those who aren't afraid of being honest and setting the bar high are benefiting the child more than those that give everyone a passing grade. As an adult who has returned to college in my later years I am truly surprised by college students who expect a passing grade without putting in the work. My biggest gripe is that her method of comparing education was with a specific test. While this test isn't a traditional aptitude test, I felt the research was lacking in other methods of determining the ability of a new adult to function in life after school.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment