Book Review - The Quick

The QuickThe Quick by Lauren Owen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I really wanted to like this book way more than I did. It was given a lot of hype and it fell very flat. To start with, the beginning dragged on incredibly slow, but some books are like that and you stick it out because the building is worth it in the end. I did love the character/relationship development between Christopher and James. I wasn't even really bothered by the shift in points of view. What I struggled with the most is the plot twist really wasn't very unexpected. I kept expecting something else to change. And when that "twist" came, the writing changed. It wasn't the same. It felt like two separate books smooshed together because they contained the same characters. My least favorite character was Charlotte, and the one I was most interested in was James, but his point of view disappears halfway through the book and it just fell flat to me. The writing itself was good and I definitely think the author has potential for greatness but this debut novel wasn't for me.
I was interested while I was reading but it was easy to stop and once I put the book down I found myself starting other books before finishing this one. It took me a very long time to get through it. There were numerous side plots that distracted from the main storyline and feels like so much of those cross streets were left undone. The ending was depressing and unfulfilling. This was perhaps done as an open ending for a sequel or series. I would like to keep an eye on this author in the future, the potential is definitely there.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment